Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Vienna Update (Wirtschaftsuniversitat!)

Class is finally in session! Let's give the academic update first, since I know everyone is dying to know if I'm actually learning anything while I am here :-)

I am taking the following classes this semester:
  • Global Marketing Research (it's a challenge...lots of group work. My group is compiled of Me, a girl from Austria, a guy from Poland, and my really good friend, Josh from Canada)
  • Global Consumer Behavior (it's interesting...we just have class discussions about all the countries we are from. I am the only American...and NO ONE else in the class is from Austria...pretty cool)
  • International Marketing (Class is a bit boring....BUT...I am able to apply a lot of what I learned at the HRInsights this summer to the material)
  • Selected Topics in Gender Studies (Not too bad)
  • Cross-Cultural Communications (And intensive course that starts on December 15-16 and meets for a total of 24 hours during those days.....THAT'S GOING TO BE INTERESTING)
I have my cut worked out for me. But classes here are a lot different then in the States. They do not meet often, on the same schedule, or in the same room. For example, my Global Marketing Research met 3 times in October and will only meet twice this month. After that, we work on our own on a huge project due in January.

Along with school, I've felt kind of helpless not keeping myself busy, going to meetings, or hanging out with my Evans Scholar roommates.  As usual, I had to find something to plan.  I am in the process of planning a gathering with the approximately 35 Austrian students who will be studying abroad next semester at U of I. With the help of Professor Murray, (or guidance who lives here) we are planning an event where the Austrian students can meet us, ask us questions, socialize, get help with the apartment hunt, etc....

Leave it to me to get involved.....:-)

Any questions about the serious side of this study abroad experience? Post them...I'd be happy to hear them!!! 

Miss you guys so much! Happy Belated Halloween :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment